What you choose to blog about i.e. your ‘blog topic’ is definitely one of the most important decisions you will have to make when you start a blog.
Needless to say, there are hundreds of options so choosing the ‘right’ topic might seem like an overwhelming decision but that’s what we’re here to help you with.
At the simplest level, if you want success with blogging, you should blog about a topic that:
1. You have an interest in and/or will enjoy writing about the topic.
2. You are good at or have a lot of knowledge about the topic.
3. Is in a niche that will make money.
If you can find a topic that satisfies all three of these criteria, then you have found your sweet spot!
Let’s go over each of these criteria individually to help you figure out how to assess potential blog topics.
1. A topic you have interest in and/or will enjoy writing about
The first step to blogging success comes down to choosing a blog topic that you think you will enjoy writing about.
Start by brainstorming and making a list of your hobbies and interests that would make for a good blog.
Think about these questions to get started:
– What are your hobbies?
– What do you do in your spare time?
– What are you passionate about?
– What do you like to listen to/read/watch?
– What did you find interesting in school or university?
– What do you enjoy learning about?
– If you could do one thing for the rest of your life and get paid for it, what would it be?
Make a list of these answers/ topics and let’s use them to choose a niche.
Side note on picking a niche:
You need to narrow down your list from above and pick a niche and focus on one area.
So, the question then is – of all the topics available to you – what niche should you go with?
Here are a few things to think about when considering what you should blog about:
- Could you write about this niche for a long time?
- Are there enough interesting things to say about this topic?
- Will this topic evolve and change over time, to provide you with enough new content?
2. A topic you are good at or have a lot of knowledge about
In addition to being interested in a particular topic, it’s also incredibly useful if you have a lot of knowledge about it.
Being an expert in your chosen niche means you’re already well equipped to create content that is super high quality – without even really having to try too hard. Writing about something you’re good at or have expertise in, comes so much more naturally
3. A topic that will make money
Not all blog topics will be easy to monetize. So when you’re considering your niche, think about your interest and expertise but also definitely consider “the market” for it.
What does this mean?
If you are looking to generate income from your blog, your topic of choice needs to have a proven market where people are spending money. If your audience isn’t already spending money in this niche, it could mean there’s not much hope for you to run a money-making blog on the topic.
In addition to these three criteria, one more thing that you should definitely think about is the longevity of the market. Don’t start a blog just based on a fad.
Fads are not great as they come and go. You should blog about a topic that has lasting appeal
Why spend all the time and effort on a blog when the market is only going to be around for a year or two.
Ask yourself – is the topic in a market that has long-term appeal? Will this market be around in years to come?
If you have identified as “not-a-fad” then go forth, and start blogging.